Thursday 2 October 2014

Sheffield Park - East Sussex





What a fabulous Indian summer we are having, perfect for venturing out and about. The light at this time of year is beautiful and enhances the russet tones of the autumn landscape. The only issue being that all this dry weather is turning the leaves more towards brown than the yellows and reds one might hope for.



A great place to see autumn colour is Sheffield Park, a Nation Trust garden near Haywards Heath in Sussex. I took a trip there but rather than exploring the formal gardens I strolled through the surrounding park and woodland. Having visited the gardens a few times before it was nice to see the area from different perspective, plus I had Charlie my dog with me and unfortunately he was refused entry to the main gardens.



Often when walking around these beautiful landscapes it is easy to be in awe of the larger picture and not pay attention to the detail. However, when you get up close there is a whole other world of beauty in these places. The rose hips and berries are looking amazing this year and when you get up close the seed-heads of flowers and grasses are like delicate works of art. I also took note of the old brick built dam, still working perfectly after all these years.



As I mentioned, I have been to Sheffield Park before and thought I would share some of my previous highlights with you. It especially good for Acers and specimens trees with beautiful autumn colour








No comments:

Post a Comment